List 1. 10 things Christians pretend Jesus didn’t say:
1. Treat others as you like to be treated (Matthew 7.12)
2. Forgive so that you’ll be forgiven (Matthew 6.14)
3. Don’t judge unless you want to be judged (Matthew 7.1)
4. Sell all you have and give it to the poor (Mark 10.21)
5. Turn the other cheek (Luke 6.29)
6. Go the extra mile (Matthew 5.41)
7. Give to all who ask and lend without expecting anything back (Luke 6.30 & 35)
8. Love your neighbour as much as yourself (Matthew 22.39)
9. Love your enemies (Luke 6.27)
10. Don’t worry about the future (Matthew 6.34)
If Christians followed these injunctions, what a very different world it would be. Instead, what do we get..?
List 2. 10 things Christians think Jesus should have said, but didn’t (with a few examples):
This is the Christianity we’ve got. Well done, o righteous ones, for perverting Jesus’ radical (and yes, ridiculously impossible) message into this unsavoury concoction of mean-spirited self-centredness. It’s what he wouldn’t have wanted.
My book Why Christians Don’t do What Jesus Tells Them To …And What They Believe Instead looks at how Christians ignore most of what Jesus says in favour of a Christianity of their own making. You can find it here in the UK, here in the US and on Kindle. Go on. You know you want it.